Did you hear the story about the guy, the raccoon and the car breathalyzer in California? It was not true, but, it was pretty believable, at first, considering the many different ways people try to get around their car breathalyzer or ignition interlock device. Since California has ways of making life harder after any ignition interlock violations, grabbing a woodland creature to assist the breath test seems like a bad idea. But, not everyone learns their DUI lesson the first time, and while there is no possible scenario for a raccoon to perform an ignition interlock test, people do try to fool their devices each day in less sensational ways.
As such, remember that keeping yourself out of trouble with your California ignition interlock is simple:
- Always be sober when you start your vehicle, and when you drive.
- Submit your own breath sample each time you start your car.
- Continue to prove your sobriety with each rolling re-test.
- Attend each service appointment as scheduled.
- Never try to tamper with the device.
- If someone else is driving your car, make sure they submit their own breath sample.
- Don’t insist that your children, pets or other furry friends blow into the device for you.
Since any California ignition interlock violations could result in an extension of the time requirement, your removal from the program, revocation of your license or even jail time, using the device as ordered is the best way to move beyond your DUI. Any attempts to disobey the court or DMV will not be taken lightly, and your object is to regain your freedom – not lose even more of it. The raccoon story is a reminder that if you try to mess with your ignition interlock, it will mess back harder. Only, you will not have a funny story to tell, just a lot of extra frustration and embarrassment.