Car Breathalyzer Devices, also called Ignition Interlock Devices (IID), are a small device that is about the size of a cell phone. The device is connected to your vehicle’s ignition system. You can find your local ignition interlock installer below.
Information on North Carolina’s DWI and Ignition Interlock Laws
North Carolina has both administrative and criminal sanctions for driving under the influence. If you are arrested for driving with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of greater than .08 or if you refuse to take a chemical test, your license will be immediately suspended for 30 days. You can apply for a limited driving privilege after 10 days, but you must wait out your full 30-day suspension before driving again. You will need to install an ignition interlock.
Criminal sanctions for DWI are in addition to the administrative actions. There are five levels of DWI penalties if you are convicted by a court or plead guilty to DWI in North Carolina. For a 1st offense, you will be required to complete 24 hours to 60 days in jail and pay a $200 fine. Judges can suspend jail time and order community service after you spend 24 hours in jail, but you must not drive for 30 days.
Penalties increase with subsequent convictions, up to and including vehicle forfeiture.
Full information on all levels of DWI criminal sanctions and a complete explanation of administrative penalties can be found here.
How much does an interlock cost in North Carolina?
An ignition interlock (IID) is about $3 per day on average in North Carolina, but what you are paying for goes beyond the device.
Our customer service and reporting specialists are also part of LifeSafer’s value to our customers. Your local authorized North Carolina installation center is constantly updating their training and calibration service so your program runs smoothly and we can install an interlock on any vehicle. There is a lot riding on your device working properly and LifeSafer invests in accuracy and ease of use.
- Obtain a DL-123 from your auto insurance company or agent. These forms are valid for 30 days, so wait until you are ready to request interlock driving privileges before you request one.
- Obtain an alcohol assessment at an approved provider. The cost is $100. Locate services here.
- Make an appointment to have your ignition interlock installed by calling Monitech, our local North Carolina team at 800-521-4246.
- If you work non-standard hours, obtain a letter from your employer stating when you need to be at work.
- Fill out an application for Interlock Limited Driving Privilege.
- Take these documents to the Clerk of Court in the county where you were originally charged.
- Pay $100. You will receive your limited driving privilege.
- Take your copy of the privilege and your vehicle to a local DMV, which will verify that your interlock is installed.
Every situation and state is unique, please consult with your attorney or your state licensing authority to confirm your requirements and obligations.
The information provided on this website does not, and is not intended to, constitute legal advice; instead, all information, content, and materials available on this site are for general informational purposes only. Information on this website may not constitute the most up-to-date legal or other information. This website contains links to other third-party websites for the convenience of our readers. Links from Car Breathalyzer Help to other sites, or from other sites to the Car Breathalyzer Help, do not constitute an endorsement by Car Breathalyzer Help.