There are plenty of reasons to lock your car, especially when you have expensive devices like a nice stereo, GPS or great sound system. We carry plenty of valuable items in our cars that can be targeted by criminals, even if those “bad guys” don’t know what they are, including a car breathalyzer or ignition interlock device. It might seem a little crazy, but, if you have a car breathalyzer installed in your car, you may be at risk for its theft.
If you discover your car breathalyzer has been stolen, you need to take steps to remain compliant with your court order. The last thing you want is for a criminal to make your own legal issues even worse. Stay calm and remember that a proactive response is in your best interest.
If your car breathalyzer is stolen, you should do the following:
- Call your local law enforcement agency and report the crime immediately.
- File a police report with as many details as possible.
- Contact the court or other reporting agency that monitors your car breathalyzer requirement.
- Contact your car breathalyzer or ignition interlock service provider and schedule an appointment for a replacement device.
- Do not, under any circumstances, attempt to start or operate your vehicle.
If your car breathalyzer is stolen, the device will have recorded information that indicates it was removed or otherwise tampered with. You do not want to be responsible for that kind of data, and by taking the right steps, you can reduce or eliminate any further frustration due to the theft. While it may seem unlikely that a car breathalyzer is stolen, it is possible simply because it is a “gadget” in your car or someone thinks it will be a great joke.
Once you are cleared to have your car breathalyzer replaced, be sure to schedule that appointment immediately and follow all directions on how to get to the appointment without violating the terms of your requirement. The more time you spend without a functional car breathalyzer, the more risk you take in the eyes of the court, even with a police report or other proof of the theft.