Ok, we understand that in the world of “cool,” nobody puts a car breathalyzer on their list of must-have gadgets. But, when you start learning about car breathalyzers or ignition interlocks, you’ve got to appreciate them for what they are. They’re cool little devices, and we are glad to be part of “Team Interlock.”
Top reasons we think car breathalyzers are cool:
- Car breathalyzers don’t allow an intoxicated person to drink and drive. Ever.
- Car breathalyzers specifically detect alcohol in a person’s breath. That’s some cool technology.
- Plus, technology-wise, car breathalyzers can take photos or video of the person driving and can then instantly submit them and blood alcohol concentration (BAC) numbers over the Internet.
- MADD and other safety organizations support the use of car breathalyzers for drunk driving offenders. MADD is one of our country’s most successful non-profit organizations.
- Car breathalyzers reduce repeat drunk driving offenses by 50-90%, and most people go on to never drink and drive again once the device is removed.
- Car breathalyzers allow an offender to maintain employment and other personal responsibilities for an easier road to recovery after a drunk driving conviction.
- In order to install a car breathalyzer, an offender must complete the steps to restore their driver’s license. These often include alcohol or substance abuse counseling, as well as driver safety classes.
- Submitting a breath sample in order to drive can help break unhealthy relationships with alcohol, as it becomes a habit to simply not drink before driving.
How cool is that?
Keep in mind that unless a person installs a car breathalyzer in their car for safety reasons, the cause of most people using the devices is that they were convicted of drinking and driving. We may favor these devices, but, we also know that being cool doesn’t include driving under the influence or a car breathalyzer and that the coolest people just find a sober ride home.