Once shock has worn off, that night you spent with friends at a bar may seem a bit challenging to remember as a highlight of your life. The shock of the DUI, of course, and what you are going to face once you get into court to face the music. San Diego is not the toughest on DUI offenders, when you consider the car breathalyzer or ignition interlock requirement in other areas of California. But that does not mean you won’t have the requirement. It all depends on the circumstances surrounding your arrest for a DUI in San Diego.
Your DUI in San Diego is affected by the following:
- Any previous DUI or “Wet Reckless” convictions you’ve had in the 10 previous years.
- Your blood alcohol concentration (BAC) – the higher the percentage, the more trouble you face.
- Your age at the time of the incident.
- Any other traffic violations that occurred during the course of your DUI.
- Refusing the chemical test (breath, blood or urine) at the time of your arrest.
- Any substances found, other than alcohol, at the time of your arrest.
- Any injuries that occurred to your passenger(s) or others on the road.
All of that impacts the time you could spend in jail, how long it could take to get your license back, and whether you will have an ignition interlock requirement. Fines could increase, as well, and you may have an impact on your employment, ability to find housing or other personal matters… all because of a DUI.
An ignition interlock requirement in San Diego isn’t the end of the world, and if you are given the chance to ride with an interlock, it could be the beginning of a better future for you. After a DUI in San Diego, your next move may be to call a local ignition interlock service provider and skip the middle ground, right into a healthy, responsible recovery.