We live in a world full of convenience, where drive-thru restaurants feed us instantly and smartphones allow us immediate insight into the world through apps and search engines. Convenience may seem to make our choices easier, and might even be what caused you to lose your license: it was probably more convenient to drive yourself home after drinking than to ask for a ride or call a taxi. As a result, now you have to decide whether to pay for an ignition interlock device (IID) or try to find another way to get around town.
The cost of a drunk driving conviction may include:
- Court fines and fees.
- Sobriety programs, DUI school or classes.
- Fees to reinstate driver’s license.
- Higher insurance premiums.
- Ignition interlock fees or public transportation costs and gas money for friends who drive you around.
These costs may seem overwhelming, but, there are definitely reasons to consider ignition interlock fees in a different light: the cost of convenience.
By installing and maintaining an ignition interlock device, your “cost” includes:
- Freedom to drive your own vehicle.
- Ability to maintain employment and earn a paycheck.
- Not scheduling your life around public transportation.
- Not risking further drunk driving convictions or illegally driving.
Being “stuck” paying for something you don’t want isn’t convenient, but you have to face the facts – without an IID, you have to rely on other, inconvenient transportation methods or you could lose your job and your ability to move on from your conviction. The costs of an ignition interlock device are much less than what a repeat drunk driving offense will cost you, and if you are driving on a suspended license, you could face even tougher consequences.
Ignition interlock devices do add more to your bills, but, having the ability to drive on your own terms is a lot more convenient than you think. By making the best of a bad choice to drive after drinking, you already show that you are sorry for the mistake and ready to move ahead with your life, as quickly and conveniently as possible.